Thursday, June 02, 2005

Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta


did I mention one of the Geto Boys is a midget? Well, he is. I dare say he's the best rapping midget ever, I don't care what Kid Rock says. Posted by Hello

Geto Boys - Damn, It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta

Video: Geto Boys vs. Star Wars - Mind Playin Tricks On Me

Isaac Hayes - Hung Up On My Baby (Tough Guys theme) - sampled for Mind Playin Tricks On Me

How do you know if you’re ghetto? Answer: When you start a rap group and misspell the word “ghetto” in your name. Well, that, and having a couches on your porch. That’s right, the Geto Boys are in the neighborhood! Head for the suburbs whiteys! The Geto Boys are behind two of my favorite rap songs, one of which appears in the opening sequence of everyone’s favorite work movie, “Office Space”. “Damn it Feels Good to Be a Gangsta” simply bleeds laidback, Cali beats, perfect for summer days and driving around causing trouble. Geto Boys made their name in the early nineties when the amount of swear words in a rap song was just as important as the beats. There’s just something undeniably enjoyable about excessive swearing just for the f*ck of it. Not to say that today’s rap songs have fewer swear words, but the old stuff just sounds gratuitous, in a totally awesome way. My favorite Geto Boys song has to be “Mind Playin Tricks on Me”. I love it’s narrative structure, the Isaac Hayes beat, and the sickness of it all. It’s a twisted song, but twisted in a way that everybody can sorta identify with. Damn homey, my mind’s playin tricks on me. Unfortunately, I don’t have this song on mp3 yet, I just have a link to a video using Star Wars figures as the actors. It’s awesome. What I do have though, is the Isaac Hayes (Chef!) original that the song is based around. Not surprisingly, that’s awesome too. The riff from this song just gets stuck in your head (Buster, this one has mix potential). Oooh, the sickness…“Now I got the world swingin from my nuts/damn, it feels good to be a gangsta”…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting the issac hayes track, i had no idea where that killer beat came from, and yes geto boys do rule, mptom is a classic!!!