Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Diamonds in the Back, Sunroof Top/Diggin the Scene with a Gangsta Lean


Sopron, Hungary Posted by Hello

William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What You've Got

Tomorrow morning I leave for Hungary to volunteer at the European Leadership Forum, which I’ve talked about on here several times before. More than anything, I know that these two weeks are going to be another life-changing travel experience. Every big trip I’ve taken has been. They’ve been life-changing in that they’ve adjusted and reordered my priorities and broadened my perspective on life in general. This one is going to be different in that it’s for a greater good: the Lord’s work. It’s not just for my own personal enjoyment this time. I’m going to be working my tail off the week of the conference and the days leading up to it. My hope is that it puts in check some of the self-centered, selfish attitudes that have seeped into my daily life and routine. But, right now, I’m simply thankful for this opportunity to go over there and be a servant for something else besides my own desires. As Bob Dylan said, “You gotta serve somebody” and lately it’s been myself and anybody I thought would reciprocate and therefore benefit me somehow. I’ve learned since my last trip that never worrying about anything else but serving yourself is a never-ending cycle that simply breeds more earthly desires to be fulfilled. Ultimately, this cycle leads to destruction. This conference is all about trying to help out Christian leaders (scientists, bioethicists, professors, writers, pastors, counselors, etc) in Europe who will turn around after this conference and impact the spiritual lives of Europeans in a way that I never could. I’m thankful for the opportunity to be around such people and learn something from them. I’m thankful that I’m financially even able to attend. I’m thankful for a boss that respects me enough to grant me 2 weeks vacation during a busy summer. I’m thankful for an extended family that enjoys being around one another and looks forward to spending two weeks working and traveling together. Last, and most definitely least, I’m thankful to William DeVaughn for writing one of the finest soul songs ever recorded in, “Be Thankful For What You’ve Got” (Massive Attack recorded a version of this song on their debut album “Blue Lines” but it sounds cheap and cheesy next to the original). See ya when I get back in late June, hideawayheads.

No comments: