Friday, September 02, 2005

The Flood

First off, I apologize for the last post. I posted it as soon as I heard about the levees breaking in New Orleans, not fully realizing what that was about to cause. It seems flippant to me now. But, I deal with tragedy like anybody else, I gotta find a way to vent my feelings. I feel the need to write something about this and express my feelings through someone elses songs (skip straight to the bottom of the post for the songs that are helping me get through this.)

Like everybody, I've been totally waylaid by the flooding in New Orleans and the fact that this tragedy has gotten worse by the day. At least during 9/11 things got relatively better after the initial event. The after-effects of this natural disaster have taken me by surprise. Unfortunately, it's also appeared to have caught the government that is supposed to take care of tragedies like this by surprise, as well. That is a fact that I have a hard time getting my head around. It's unforgivable. I think that this is horrible, on-going event is going to be a tipping point in coming to grips with the big questions connected to it. Why are poor people the hardest hit by tragedies like this? Why are most of the poor people in New Orleans black? Why haven't I heard anybody attacking the poor leadership being shown by Louisiana's female governor? Why are the reports of violence in the city creating impressions that the city is a war zone or a dangerous jungle instead of a human disaster area? Is it because some of the people arrested for the violence are black? Why is violence in the city slowing down the aid that is supposed to be coming there? Why are police and the public so worried about looting when people are dying from lack of food and water? (Because the police have been so worried about looters, there are more people that are dying from lack of food and water. Who cares about material stuff and stealing at a time like this?) Why have white looters been depicted in some media outlets as looting "food and supplies" while black people are shown hauling off vaccum cleaners and tv's?

Some people are becoming very angry about this situation. I can understand that, but I simply don’t share the feeling. Being angry is a way to cope with what has happened and it’s never done much for me. I think right now people are entitled to feel however they wish and do what they have to in order to get by. Blaming people is a way to feel more secure and provide an outlet for frustrations and unanswered questions. But, blaming our leaders who should be protecting us doesn’t make me feel any better about all this. I wish it did because I’ve got a lot of questions weighing heavily on my mind right now. As a man of faith, I feel the only effective thing I can do right now is pray. I need to ask God to help the neglected people left stranded in New Orleans. I will give of my time and money, too, but right now I need to pray. But, why did God allow this to happen in the first place? How can his plan for this world use anything so horrible for any kind of good? Don't listen to anybody who tells you that they have an answer to why God allows this to happen. Of all the Godliest men I’ve ever talked to or heard speak, they’ve all acknowledged that we simply cannot know the God's reason for allowing suffering and trials like this. Of all the big questions connected to this tragedy, this is the biggest: “Why?” To still believe in a God who will allow devastation like this is the definition of faith. In the Bible, Job was tortured through the end of his days because God allowed Satan to test his faith. Job was hugely successful and prosperous until God allowed Job’s family to be wiped out and for his crops to be destroyed. Then he developed painful sores over all of his body. But, through all of it, Job maintained his faith. When he refused to give in the Satan's testing, it became all that he had. It wasn’t until Job died that he found out the reason for it all. And, Job is the quintessential example of the power of faith in the Bible. No one could’ve told Job the reason for it all while he was still on earth and don’t let anybody tell you they know why God allows bad things like this to happen.

Spiritualized - Lord, Can You Hear Me? - this one brings tears to my eyes. Nothing as powerful as a song like this coming from a guy who once named an album, "Taking drugs to make music to take drugs to"...

Curtis Mayfield - Here But I'm Gone - the tendency for me to slip into escapism during a time like this is powerful. Reality is too real sometimes, ya know? Curtis recorded this entire album on his back in the studio, paralyzed. It's from his last album, New World Order. He would die a few years later.

3 comments:

BK/CK said...

Man, when I can't generate a comment with a post like this...gimme something people, geez.

I've got the new Bob Dylan double album of rarities and live cuts and it's blow-my-mind stellar, front to back. It's the soundtrack to the new documentary on him by some Italian guy. Does anyone on here care? No. And, it's your loss.

Anonymous said...

well done knoop. I will admit watching this on tv everyday has made me ask the question....Why would God let this happen? It breaks my heart

BK/CK said...

This event shattered a lot of illusions I had about our government. I feel like I've been duped.

I was not, however, duped by Pitchfork's 9.3 rating of Bob Dylan's double album of rarities. The second disc is just off the charts it's so good. Buster, your Starbucks-lovin ass is gonna have to burn me a copy of the Live at the Gaslight disc. The Scorsese documentary is gonna air in 2 parts on separate nights at the end of September on PBS. Can't wait!!

Have a good weekend everybody.