Monday, September 19, 2005

The Last Good Day of the Year


So, I'm finally getting back into the swing of things, sorry it's been so long since the last post. Music just hasn't been on my mind like it usually is. But, I'm back with another mix cd that I compiled for fall and just stuff that sounds good right now for whatever reason. I just spent the weekend in a wedding (my 8th wedding tux rental, in case you're keeping track at home) up in my old stomping grounds of Grand Rapids, Michigan and it was an absolute dream of a weekend, ideal really. The leaves are just barely starting to fall from the trees and the weather was perfect. I drove around my old college town, past my old houses, old hangouts, old memories. I met the hottest, hardest partying cop/bridesmaid I've ever seen, a blond chick with a rockin body and, presumably, handcuffs on her person at all times. I danced like a man possessed. I flirted with bridesmaids. I partied with old friends I hadn't spent time with or seen in years. I had the best weekend I've had in awhile.

But, I digress. This latest mix I made, it originally started out as a psychedelic folk rock mix, but I realized I didn't have as much of that stuff as I thought I did. So, I filled in the holes with some songs from different countries. Peruvian Beattlesque pop, Nigerian funk folk, Brazilian soul rock, French chanteuse rock pop, Burmese psych surf rock...it's all there, baby! I think it all works together really well as a mix, too, sort of a globetrotting, aural taste-testing. It's just some joyful, melodic tunes that exist for their own sake, not to change anything or make you think or make you dance or make you sad, just good music. That's just about exactly what I need right about now, something simple and good...And, since I haven't been posting up new tunes in awhile, and because I'm in a good mood, I'll post up a bunch of the songs from this mix. Enjoy the hot eats/cool treats, hideawayheads.

Harry Nilsson - Gotta Get Up
The Band of Bees - These Are the Ghosts
Jon Brion - I Believe She's Lying
The Coral - Shadows Fall
Antonio Carlos E Jocafi - Kabaluere - (Brazilian tune that was jacked by Chali 2 Na & NuMark)
The Kinks - Victoria
Beta Band - Dry the Rain
Cousteau - The Last Good Day of the Year - (I think this was on a car commercial awhile back)
My Morning Jacket - Wordless Chorus - (Beautiful tune from MMJ's forthcoming album 'Z')
Loretta Lynn w/ Jack White - Portland Oregon
Bongos Ikwue - Woman Made The Devil - (70's Nigerian tune about women & the devil)
Lashio Thien Aung - You Got What You Got - (Burmese psychedelic pop from the 60's)
Jon Brion - Walking Thru Walls - (the background vocals crack me up everytime)
Sea and Cake - The Argument - (pre-solo Sam Prekop)
Francoiz Breut - La Fin Du Monde - (a French chick making good use of handclaps)
Paul McCartney - Monkberry Moon Delight
Velvet Underground - Who Loves the Sun?
We All Together - Children
The Hassles - 4 O'Clock in the Morning
Weldon Irving - Morning Sunrise
Love - Everybody's Gotta Live

1 comment:

BK/CK said...

Good to hear and good to see you back in The 'Saw this weekend.

Dig it.