Friday, October 28, 2005

Dude, It's Friday. Cover For Me.

I drove into a burning ring of fire. I went down down down and the flame went higher. IT BURNS! BURNS! BURNS!, THE RING OF FI-YAH!!! WHOOO!!!

Tom Jones - Ring of Fire

Ray Charles - Ring of Fire

This Kid Named Miles - Ring of Fire


It’s “Cover For Me” Friday and today I dust off my “Covers” series that used to be oh-so-popular on Koopa’s Hideaway. I would’ve brought this series back sooner, but I was worried about damaging my blogular integrity by conceding to popular demand and revisiting this series. I felt kinda like how the Hanson brothers must feel when they get pressured to sing “MmmBop!” at every show. I had to wait until my audience at large had forgotten about my seminal, groundbreaking covers series, and THEN bring it back blow your mind all over again.

Tom Jones’ reworking of the Johnny Cash classic, “Ring of Fire”, is a 60’s go-go/mod version that would earn a hearty “Yeah, baby” from Austin Powers. I’m willing to bet every time Tom played this song in concert that he got showered with even more women’s panties than usual. Truth be told, it’s a kickass version and you’ll wonder why you ever thought Tom Jones was lame. Next, I’ve got Ray Charles doing a sexy, soul-filled rendition. It’s a rollicking romp and the bass line just bumps along as Mr. Charles bares his soul and reminds you that he’s been through that doggone burnin ring of fire and came out the other side with the scars to prove it. Then, to close out my Ring of Fire trifecta, I’ve got an old school reggae and r&b version (think Jackie Mittoo) by This Kid Named Miles, leader of the Breakestra collective. This song came on a new-ish 7” vinyl single with “Funky Reggae” on the b side, by a mysterious fellow who goes by the moniker Bumps Jackson (I'm pretty sure this is actually alias-happy hip hop producer Madlib, since his name is really Otis Jackson). And, there’s your obscure vinyl reference for the week. Have a great weekend hideawayheads, I’m going back to the country to enjoy a weekend of bonfires, parties, and country cruises.

1 comment:

BK/CK said...

Ask and ye shall receive. Don't have Dangerdoom, but I've got the new Blackalicious and it's about that time...