Monday, October 24, 2005

So You Wanna Be a Mixologist

You think this looks easy, huh? Well...it's not. OK? As you can see, I'm kinda busy right now or else I'd explain it to you. Just...take my word for it, alright...You think it's just throwing a bunch of stuff together and "mixing it up", don't you? I can tell. Well, if that's all there was to it, I'd be out of a job now wouldn't I? Maybe when you grow to appreciate it, I'll try and tell you what it is I do and all the processes I have go through. Until then, quit bothering me and let me get back to work...geez.

So, I’m still making mix cds for my hard-time-having buddy. I made this one on Saturday afternoon/late-night. It’s almost exclusively from my vinyl collection, except for three of the nineteen tracks. I started with the idea of “country-politan” music, but with a sometimes-funky, sometimes-melancholy twist. Then, I broke one of the cardinal rules of mix-making by including two songs by the same artist back-to-back. Nobody’s going to give me any awards for a super obscure mix, but that crap only matters to record collecting geeks like me. Since this mix isn’t for me or another record collecting geek, who cares? Most people probably don’t think about stuff like this when listening to a cd, but I’ve read (and seen) “High Fidelity”, and I know that there are lots of rules. Check out my rule-breakin, straight off the wax mix below. I'll add links to various songs as time allows.


1.Kris Kristofferson – Sunday Morning Comin Down (down & out country, the best kind...)
2.Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra – Some Velvet Morning
3.BB King – Chains and Things
4.My Morning Jacket – How Could I Know? (b-side of ‘Off the Record’, literally)
5.Paul Simon – Slip Sliding Away
6.Dr. John – Walk On Guilded Splinters
7.The Band of Bees – Punchbag
8.James Taylor – Mud Slide Slim
9.Curtis Mayfield – Stone Junkie (live from ’72 Newport Jazzfest)
10.Curtis Mayfield – Pusherman (live from ’72 Newport Jazzfest)
11.Bobby Womack – Harry Hippie
12.Bobby Womack – Nobody Wants You When You’re Down and Out
13.Johnny Cash – Wanted Man (live from San Quentin prison)
14.Bob Dylan w/ The Band – When I Paint My Masterpiece (live)
15.Neil Diamond w/ The Band – Dry Your Eyes (live from “The Last Waltz”)
16.The Band – Ophelia
17.Elvis Presley – Tryin To Get To You (from “The Sun Sessions”)
18.Elvis Presley – Blue Moon (from “The Sun Sessions”)
19.Bob Dylan – Meet Me in the Morning

Ps – On Sunday night I went to see My Morning Jacket here in town at the Vogue Theater. It was Fenomenal. I spelled "phenomenal" with an ‘F’ because it was so F’n great; great F’n show on the same F’n level as their great F’n album, “Z”. You may have heard me gush about it a couple weeks ago. Best album I’ve heard all year, best concert performance I’ve heard all year. Don't sleep, hideawayheads.

No comments: