Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Always Pimpin, Never Slippin (That's How It Is)


King Koopa's most recent after party... Posted by Picasa

There are a few things in life that every man needs to have. A Mach 3 razor. A record player. A recipe you know how to cook. A bottle of fine liquor. A great afterparty mix cd. I’d love to help out the rest of the dudes out there with all these essentials, but there’s only so much I can do. I’m only one man. But, my compassion for my fellow man requires that I try and at least help out with the last one on the list, the afterparty mix. We all know what the after-party is all about. Da ladies. Songs must be carefully chosen. They need to be of the utmost smoovness, yet danceable. Slow jams, knowwhatimean? Dr. Dre can produce a bangin beat that’ll keep their heads ringin till next friday, but when you’re looking for smoovness you gotta look elsewhere. (And, at this point of the night nobody cares how obscure a track is, you're looking for universal smoovality, not obscurity.) But, there’s the risk of going over the top with the smoovness and coming off looking corny. That’s where personalization comes into play. I could never pull off rockin a Ralph Tresvant or SWV track. Some guys could; I couldn’t (I'm toe-ing the line with the Teddy Pendegrass song I included.) So, without any further rambling, here’s my afterparty mix:

1. Outkast - Spottieottiedopaliscious
2. Sleepy Brown - Still Smokin (Sleepy's Theme)
3. Notorious B.I.G. - Big Poppa
4. Big Pun feat. Fat Joe - Still Not a Player
5. Outkast - Player's Ball
6. Amerie - One Thing (Siik Remix)
7. Big Boi feat. Sleepy Brown - Bowtie
8. Karl Denson - Groove On
9. Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy
10. Kanye West - Slow Jamz
11. Lynden David Hall - Sleeping With Victor
12. Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Take You There (9th Wonder Remix)
13. Jack Herrera - Jack Herrera for President
14. Outkast - Aquemini
15. Teddy Pendegrass - Choose Me
16. Lauren Hill/Bob Marley - Turn Your Lights Down Low

1 comment:

chrome said...

yes, yes afterparty mix looks tight.

Outkast's Aquemini has to be the joint. kept playing that tune when I copped the album.

1