Thursday, August 18, 2005

GE: We Bring Good Things to Beats


generally speaking, I like elektriks Posted by Picasa

General Elektriks - Tu M'intrigue

General Elektriks - Frost On Your Sunglasses - Added 8/24!!! Cop this!!! It doesn't get much fresher

My boy "D Friendly" reminded me this morning that Quannum has a new artist debuting next Tuesday, August 23rd. I've been sitting on this mp3 for awhile since downloading it from Music For Robots, and now seems as good a time as ever to post it up for you guys. Quannum's previous release, their other new artist APSCI, really disappointed me so I'm really hoping this General Elektriks disc is a return to Quannum form (Blackalicious is next and they're going psychadelic, ya dig?) All I know is that General Elektriks is basically one French dude and a lot of vintage synths and beat machines. A lot of really cool organ put to some sick beats with great production. Sounds cool enough, right? As far as vocals are concerned, Mr. Elektriks generally gets by on this song by just whispering French nothings into the mic. (Have you ever noticed that the French, especially the women, can get away with whispering into a mic and turn it into a song? A good French chanteuse is just a sexy whisperer; but, I digress.) When Quannum picks him up, you know it's gonna be quality and something different (except in the case of APSCI). If you go to Quannum's website, you can stream a couple other songs from the album (Check out the supercool 'Frost On Your Sunglasses'. Lateef's on the other track on the site, 'Facing the Void'.). I've really liked everything I've heard so far (3 tracks) so I'm pretty sure the album that drops next Tuesday is gonna be dope. Don't sleep on GE! It's got all the earmarks of being my album of the season this fall...

2 comments:

BK/CK said...

Sup Mr. Friendly, yeah I picked this album up yesterday and I've been able to listen to it a few times now. It's diggety dope, dude. The Frenchie gets fresher than a moist towlette!! I'd compare it to some Madlib/YNQ ish, except not quite as freakishly blunted-out.

Yeah, as far as Little Brother, you can't front on 9th Wonder's production, but the rappers haven't won me over yet. We'll see what they have in store for the next album.

BK/CK said...

Stay tuned for the 12" single from the new Breakestra album that may or may not feature several rappers from Jurassic 5 and People Under the Stairs. (Act like you know.) It's hotness in the form of a 12" vinyl record...so hot its melting holes in turntables across the nation!