Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Hey Everybody, It's Summertime!!!


it's summertime, and it rolls Posted by Picasa

So, I’m talking on the phone the other day to my dear friend the American Mastodon. In the tradition of glass-half-emptyists the world over, my pessimistic compadre was lamenting the month of August as the beginning of the end of summer. Perpetual optimist that I am, this kinda caught me off guard, but in a way he’s right. What it made me realize more than anything is that I’m running out of time to post up my top 5 songs of summer! (Soul-Sides.com has been doing this theme all summer with various guest bloggers, and I’ve been loving it.) But, before we get to the list, what are the defining qualities that can put a song on my list? 1) Singalongability/Rapalongability. This is of utmost importance. I need to be able to belt it out while pimpin it bigwillystyle in my convertible out on a country cruise in the middle of nowhere. 2) An overall upbeat, blissful, escapist mood. Summer songs are supposed to put you in a good mood, not bum you out with that downer we call “reality”. 3) A great melody. Yeah, I know, this is a subset of the singalongability, but it deserves it’s own slot. A great melody speaks for itself and will sometimes make me forget the lyrics of the song. 4) Somewhat danceable, if only a little bit, enough to get a produce a booty-shake or two.
But, without further ado, here is the somewhat definitive list (in no particular order), King Koopa’s Top 5 Songs of Summer

1 - Marlena Shaw - California Soul - [It's] 'the sound you hear, that lingers in yer ear'

2 - Mack B Dog - Hot Breath - The dopest, silkiest 1:35 of rapping you'll ever want to hear. RIP, Mack B Dog. 'Rhymes so milky they'll be labeled as dairy'...

3 - Lyrics Born - I Changed My Mind - My dawg LB lays it down exquisitely with the kraut funksters, Poets of Rhythm as his backing band

4- Chi Lites - Stoned Out of My Mind - Put this one in your pipe and smoke it.

5 - Wyclef Jean - Stayin Alive - with a sample like 'Stayin Alive' it's hard to go too wrong. 'Clef brings it on this one from his debut solo album, then quickly begins his rapid decline into cheesiness.

Honorable Mention: Big Pun feat. Fat Joe - Still Not a Player - The guiltiest of the guilty pleasures on this list. This one is just a undeniable smile-producer. Undeniable.

5 comments:

Mathis said...

Don't hate.

I'm coming to Indy next weekend.

BK/CK said...

Mothers of Indy, lock up your daughters. The American Mastodon and King Koopa are about to be unleashed upon the city. Anywhere high school girls hang out, we will be there, getting them drunk on Boones Farm.

BK/CK said...

Hanging out with the american mastodon is like being with Matthew McConaughey in "Dazed and Confused". Me, I'm enough of a gentleman not to ask a woman her age. As long as she doesn't talk about home-ec or Hilary Duff, I don't ask any questions. If she does, I tell her we're the Earhart brothers.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tunes brotha...

btw..can u post that JJ LEAVES LA track? i have a twin bro who i call jj who just left la. thanks again..

one.

BK/CK said...

Done. Check out the "Birthdays, Burritos..." post