Tuesday, January 03, 2006

May This Be Love


Curtis Mayfield - Stone Junkie (live at "Newport in New York '72")

Curtis Mayfield - Pusherman (live at "Newport in New York '72")

Koopa’s Hideaway is finally attracting some heat, thanks to Soul-Sides.com, my favorite mp3 blog. Dude added me to his blog roll (hmmm, maybe it’s time I did one of those). Now I gotta earn my keep, prove I belong, and I owe it to the funky souls who frequent Soul Sides to post something I KNOW they’ll be interested in. How about a live 2 song set from Curtis Mayfield from the available-on-vinyl-only-“Newport in New York ‘72” album? Mayfield only released one live album, Curtis Live (recorded January '71), and these recordings were not included (An earlier version of Stone Junkie was on there, but Pusherman wasn't included at all.) The movie Superfly was released after the Newport in New York concert, and I’m fairly certain this recording of Pusherman is one of the first times he played it live. When he introduces "Pusherman", he has to describe the film and that he wants to "see how you feel about [the song]". I ask the same. If you like it, let me know. The band he's playing with sounds really, really tight and it's a great recording. Enjoy.

1 comment:

BK/CK said...

Good, I'm glad someone is getting some enjoyment out of these. F'n ungrateful soulsiders.