Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Trading Spaces


Indie Folk:
  • Kings of Convenience - Misread - Canadian folkies. These guys are part of a recent wave of good music coming out of the frigid hinterland known as Canada (along with Broken Social Scene, Feist). Ignore the fact that they're Canadian and that they don't exactly fit the theory described below. Canadians privately wish they were American anyway.
  • Iron & Wine - Woman King - This dude is probably the best of the indie folksters out there. This song is from his latest solo EP.
  • The Shins - New Slang (live) - The Shins could be the most popular of the indie-folksters. They're catchier than most. This live version is a little quiet, so just turn your speakers up all the way and it'll sound about right.
Electroclash:
Here’s a link to a fascinating article that makes a parallel between the record-low interests rates of the past 4-5 years and the decrease in the number of rock bands that use live drums. The author makes the case that the abandonment the suburbs and gentrification of urban areas has led to the rise of live-drum-less indie-folk and electroclash (which, honestly, sounds a lot like ol’ electronica with live vocals to me). I think it’s a really interesting theory, and it tweaks the part of me that needs to understand how and why things happen the way they do, the part of me that’s interested in the cause that produces a certain effect. I've been surmising for years that the suburbs are about 10 years away from being the new ghettos. We'll see. My high school economics class (taught by the brilliant, long-division master and singular personality, Mr. Dan Groff) really started me down this “cause and effect” path. From studying the stock market and economic theory, I learned that if you can sort through all the different variables, you can find a cause for everything that happens. Of course, that way of thinking usually works best when analyzing why something happened in the past, as opposed to predicting what will happen in the future. That’s why nobody has developed an accurate model for predicting what will happen with the stock market. There are too many ever-changing variables to develop an equation for prediction. So, the author of this article can’t tell you what’s going to happen to music in the future, but he has a pretty pessimistic view of the future of this country, so I would guess he’s not predicting another rise of boy bands in the near future. Probably socially-conscious music of some sort, eh? Who knows! That’s why this country needs music geeks like myself and this guy, because who else is going to argue about how the political/cultural landscape is going to affect music of the future? Somebody out there has to think about these things. But, that’s neither here nor there…read the article and appreciate the analytical genius behind the theory.

I hope everybody had a Merry Christmas and that you got to spend some quality time with the ones you love. My holiday weekend was spent staying up late with friends from out of town and waking up early to the exhortations of my nieces and nephews. I need a vacation from my vacation. I also encountered a mix cd project from one of the American Mastodon’s friends that has really inspired me to take my mix-making to the next level. The AM got it all started with this mix. I highly recommend it, and he might still send you one if you ask nicely enough. Then again, I could probably burn you a copy too. I’ve already got some good ideas that I’m starting on. Stay tuned.

No comments: