Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Winter: Welcome To The Darkness


Curtis Mayfield - Right on for the Darkness

Willie Wright - Right on for the Darkness

Josh Rouse - Come Back (Light Therapy)

The above picture is Justin Hawkins of the English joke-rock band, The Darkness. The Darkness rock out in ways that make you bust out…laughing. The problem is that the laughing often drowns out the rocking. Personally, if I’m going to rock out, I take my rock with a pinch less irony. But, regardless, this post is not really about The Darkness with a big D, but about “darkness” with a little d. I just thought this was a really funny picture. People just don’t rock pilgrim hats, leather pants, and those keyboard/guitar things anymore.

Today is the first official day of winter, which means it’s the winter solstice, which means it’s the shortest, darkest day of the year, which means insomniacs will have no excuse for not being able to go to bed at a decent hour. (Interestingly, the winter solstice is also the biggest holiday for Wicca, a goddess/witchy type religion. That's cool and all, but there's something fishy about a belief system that isn't even as old as my parents, as this article in Slate points out.) The sun goes down super early and if the Hideaway gets switched to the Central Time Zone, as is being discussed, next year it’ll go down even earlier. That would be super. All so we can be on the same time as Chicago. Big whoop. For me, it will remove some of the confusion of going to a concert in Chicago, but that’s about it. I’m not a big fan of winter and all the dark evenings. Between the cold and the darkness, it kills my drive to go out and do things outside of the house in the evenings. I pretty much hibernate through winter. Christmas, President’s Day, and the thoughts of up-coming spring, those are the only highlights. New Year’s just means a monster hangover, that’s about it, oh, and the likelihood that I’ll fail miserably in my attempt at any resolution. Except my resolution to not do heroin. I feel confident that I’ll be able to keep that one for another year. Wait, does that resolution imply that I used to do heroin? I’ll leave that juicy implication open-ended, just for the sake of King Koopa’s blogular mythmaking… on to today’s songs:

I’ve got Curtis Mayfield’s original “Right on for the Darkness” and a shorter yet almost-superior version by a guy named Willie Wright whom I’ve never heard of outside of this song. It’s a socially conscious funky soul workout about doing whatever it is you do and letting other people hate on you if they wanna. “Playin’ on the clothes you wear/Laughing down at me/But I swear I just don’t care”Awesome percussion in both versions, more blaxploitation soundtrack-style orchestration in Mayfield’s. The last song is Josh Rouse’s “Come Back (Light Therapy)”, which uses the metaphor of craving the sun during a dark, dreary winter to needing your lover. It’s a great song from Rouse’s 70’s-style singer-songwriter album, 1972. Me likey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks more like a Revolutionary War era three cornered hat to me...