Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Callin Out To All Area Codes!


the mackadocious duo! Posted by Hello

Lyrics Born – Pack Up (remix) feat. Evidence(Dilated Peoples) & KRS-One - for press & promo purposes (translation: buy the album on Apr. 26!)

Lyrics Born – Pack Up album version

Lyrics Born – Callin Out album version

A friend of mine asked me last weekend if I’d heard the new track with KRS-One on it, said she heard it on the radio that morning. I said no, no way KRS has new stuff out, the Lyrics Born remix album he’s guesting on doesn’t drop until April 26. Well, I don’t know what she heard, but if it was this “Pack Up” remix, then I have a new respect for my local rap station. I just found this track on my second favorite mp3 blog, Music For Robots. It was exclusive to Music For Robots, and now it’s exclusively yours until the 26th. It’s a remix of LB’s “Pack Up” featuring Evidence from Dilated Peoples and KRS-One. This remix album is gonna be so sick, I’m popping Vitamin C and zinc pills right now just to get myself ready. Lyrics Born came to The Patio awhile back, and as I was walking up to the show with my friend Jojo, I encounter LB himself kicking it solo, outside by his trailer looking freshly blunted. I tried to impress him by greeting with a “What’s up, Tom?!”, showing him that I knew his real name. He looked surprised, hopefully pleasantly, and we chatted for a minute. In the club, he was hanging out in the back with his wife/back-up singer Joyo Velarde and I indulged my superfan tendencies and interrogated him about some impending Quannum releases, inclucing his and Lifesavas’ (who were also playing that night), trying to act like I knew what I was talking about, “So, when’s the album dropping, yo?”. I’m not an autograph or picture guy, I just wanna say Hi and maybe shake their hand. To his credit, he was nice and engaging, even though looking back on it, he probably just wanted to kick it with his girl and get ready for the show. And, to your credit, Hideawayheads, thank you for listening to my superfan moment.

Besides the “Pack Up” remix, I’ve included the original version (which is completely different). Also, if you’ve heard the Diet Coke commercial with Adrian Brody, you’ve heard snippets of LB’s song “Callin Out”, which is the dopest song on the album and the third song of the day. (Back in February I posted LB’s “Do That There” remix with Young Einstein.) If you like both underground and mainstream hip hop, Lyrics Born is the perfect combination of both sensibilities. This could end up being a week full of Quannum posts as I’m going to see Gift of Gab (from Blackalicious) and Lateef (from Latyrx w/ LB) this Friday. Ah shibbies! It’s got the makings of a great weekend.

No comments: