Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Just Gabbing Away


dude's equipped with the gift Posted by Hello

Gift of Gab (Blackalicious) – The Writz

Gift of Gab (Blackalicious) – Rhyme Like a Nut

Gift of Gab (Blackalicious) – Rhymes for the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind

Alright, I’m back after an extended blogging vacation. The novelty of this thing has really worn off at this point, and this is normally where I quit and look for something else to tickle my fancy . But, I’m not ready to pack it in yet, I’ve still got more musical gems to unearth for you, my people, my constituents…my hideawayheads. I’ll start off by posting what I had promised last week, a day of Gift of Gab posts. Now, what’s the difference between Gift of Gab and Blackalicious?, you might ask yourself. Well, when Chief Xcel is behind the boards and producing the beats, that is when it magically becomes Blackalicious. The two were high school buddies as I just found out in this article which gives a pretty complete history of the Quannum/SoleSides phenomenon.

Back to today’s songs, The Writz is a fantastic number off Gab’s solo album from last summer, 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up. It samples “Puttin’ on the Ritz” that every high school’s color guard/winter guard has performed to. The album is sorta psychedelic hip hop, I love the production on it (but what else is new for a Quannum album). Rhyme like a Nut and Rhymes for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind are off the outstanding “SoleSides Greatest Bumps” double disc set. It’s just Gab over a dope beat and he’s bustin’ out a brilliant flow. Rhymes for the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind was on my mix cd “Koopsta”funkinchillin Vol 3.

Man, I just had one of those rare weekends where everything comes together and there was just a great vibe among the people I was with. On Friday I saw the Gift of Gab and Lateef at The Patio, and it was glorious. Gab didn’t do Alphabet Aerobics (A-Z), which I was looking forward to and there was no encore, but it was 2 solid hours of body-rockin hip hop from two great performers. I went up to Lateef after the show and just thanked him for the great set and for coming to the Patio. It's rare to have two performers like them at this tiny little venue. They really got into it and were working the crowd. I thought Gab looked a little under the weather during part of the show, but it didn’t seem to affect his performace (but, it might have been the reason for no encore). Then, Saturday, I took some friends out to my grandparent's lodge for some chillin time on the lake. If you missed it, you're a Buster! (pun intended)

Sorry if the links haven't been working (and thanks for telling me, oh wait, no one did). Youshareit.com is permanently out, and until further notice Rapidshare.de is in. If you have problems figuring out how to download, let me know.

4 comments:

beanjah said...

giving up already?! come on man, what else am i going to do for the first hour of work every day?

BK/CK said...

M.S. - You're right, it's too early to quit. I've got to push through till I get my second wind. Let's just say that the new car smell has left the vehicle...

Buster - You had to have been expecting that with the name you picked...

BK/CK said...

My car? I was speaking metaphorically when I said that the new car smell has left the vehicle. The newness/freshness of this blogging thing has worn off like the smell of a new vehicle.

Buster, you missed the bukaki session this past weekend. Best bukaki I've been involved with in a coon's age.

Ah, bukaki, the best word ever...Hey, AM, are you aware of "bukaki"? Seems like a word you should be familiar with...And, it's unbelievably fun to say to people! "Have a great Bukaki!"

BK/CK said...

To set the record straight, I haven’t actually considered closing up shop permanently, I just think out loud...a lot. The flow of work at my bill-paying jobby-job was a trickle during the first few months of the blog. Now that spring has come, the snow and ice high up on the Mount Jobby-Job is starting to melt and the trickle has turned into a torrent, threatening to wash King Koopa downstream, away from the Hideaway for days at a time. (Another confusing metaphor?, of course! I minored in mixed metaphors for a semester) But, the fact of the matter is that I’m going to be busier than I have been over the next few months until I leave for Hungary in June. I’m not gonna be able to do a post everyday. It all comes down to quality control; I don’t want to be distributing substandard product if I can help it. No cutting it up with baby powder, nothing but the straight dope!

About Quannum, this is gonna be their biggest year ever, recognize. I'm always hype about these guys. As one of the longest running hip hop labels, they are unique in their ability to stay independent (Shadow, Gab, LB, Lateef, & Xcel are the CEO’s) and stay fresh. I know, I'm a supergeek when it comes to Quannum, but I feel they've earned it, the dudes keep it real.