Monday, April 04, 2005

I Don't Mind Stealin Bread, I'm Goin' Hungary


Sopron, Hungary: Part 1, to the left of the big flag Posted by Hello


Hallstatt, Austria: Part 2 of the trip Posted by Hello

Zalatnay Sarolta - Come Alone

Skorpio Group - The King With Shred Legs

I've already told a lot of people, but I haven't spilled the beans into the blogosphere yet: I'm going to Hungary and Austria for two weeks this summer! Will I be cavorting around with a railpass, backpack, and a bottle of red wine like last time? Unfortunately, no, I won't be. This time will be more work than play as my uncle, Duke Koopa, does a Christian leadership conference in Sopron, Hungary every year. Basically, people like my uncle have figured out that missionaries aren't nearly as effective as the native Christians, especially in Europe. So, this conference gathers together Christian leaders (scientists, bioethicists, pastors, professors, etc) into separate networks so they can pool their resources together and share. I'm just going to help out and listen in on some lectures. Check out the website at www.euroleadership.org

But, I always manage to squeeze fun out of any situation and I'll be tacking on about 3-4 days on the end to travel to the Austrian Alps, to Salzburg and a little town called Halstatt. It'Hallstatt is THE oldest town in Austria and one of the oldest in Europe, dating back to about 5000 BC. Awesome. Nuff said.

On to today's songs, I'll bet you thought I didn't have any Hungarian music, didn't you? Shame on you. Alright, so I downloaded both songs from soul-sides.com (my favorite mp3 blog), you guys don't care do you? I didn't think so. Zalatnay Sarolta created this song for some Hungarian movie called "A Kengeru (The Kangaroo)". It's sort of a psychedelic pop thing. Both these songs are from the late 60's/early 70's, my favorite musical period. The Skorpio Group was her backing band, and the tune is funkier, but in a Hungarian garage band sort of way. If you don't have any Hungarian stuff rockin your ipod, maybe now's the time, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what?, Hungary. millions of kids starve each day and you post jokes about hungary. noone's laughin'. next you'll be leaving the starvin kids at home to visit Turkey. I don't like your sense of humor!

BK/CK said...

I'm laughing all the way to the cafeteria.