Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Dear Joey Boy,


The following is a letter from Muslimthai.com to Thai rapper, Joey Boy.

Dear Joey Boy,

I was listening to your totally awesome cd, “Bangkok Boy”, last week. Wow. I know you released it back in 1998, but it still sounds totally fresh and vital to me today. Ever since the Danish cartoon stuff started causing so much drama around here, it’s been nice to be able to pop “Bangkok Boy” in the stereo and just kinda let go for a second. I love your rapid-fire Thai raps about noodles and those Bangkok girls that you can’t seem to get enough of. It wasn’t until recently that I actually concentrated on the lyrics in your songs, and I must say that I was surprised. I don’t know if other people still listen to your music, but I sure do. “Bangkok Boy” was criminally underappreciated when it was originally released and I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure as many people have heard about this album as possible, for reasons that will soon be crystal clear. I wrote this letter just to tell you what “Bangkok Boy” means to me. With the exception of one song, I found the album as a whole to be an enlightening and entertaining listen. It makes me want to get up and burn something! Wahoo! You’re a pimped-out, street-wise prophet, Joey Boy, don’t let anybody tell you different. However, there was one song, “Maya”, that has caused me to wish this entire work of art had never been contemplated, recorded, or mass-produced. In fact, I wish you were dead, Joey Boy. You remember that verse from “Maya” that contains lyrics taken from the Quran? Highly un-Quranical, Joey Boy. You can't do that. There’s a group of us that agrees that no one should be able to listen to this music anymore. You should’ve known better. Why would you ruin one of the greatest Thai rap albums of all time like “Bangkok Boy” by including such an offensive song like “Maya”? You could’ve recorded a song about destroying the American infidels or the bloodthirsty Zionists, you know. That would've been a real hoot. I could’ve given an album like that as a gift during Ramadan. Instead, the entire staff of Muslimthai.com has demanded that this album be recalled and destroyed. It’s offensive to us and probably many others. Offensive things belong in the Sony BMG Music Entertainment incinerator, not in my home and/or car stereo. I pray that you understand.

Yours truly,
Muslimthai.com

No comments: