Friday, February 10, 2006

Yeah, so, I saw this great show...












Feist - The Water (live on KEXP 3/13/05) - unreleased

Feist - Honey (Tears) (live @ SXSW 3/17/05) - unreleased

It was Feist. It was almost sublime. She sold-out the Park West, in Chicago on 1/27/06, which is now one of my all-time favorite venues. I anticipate that these two tracks will be included on her next studio album, which I understand she is going to start recording really soon. I definitely remember "Honey" from the show, it's pretty mesmerizing, and if my memory serves me correctly, something it rarely does, she opened the show with this song. She looped her vocals to form her "backup singers", which was something I'd never seen or heard of anybody doing live in concert. "Honey" is just Feist, her looped vocals, and her guitar. I saw Joseph Arthur do something similar, but he was looping things he did with his acoustic guitar. "The Water" is a melancholic ballad-y tune. Yeah, I know, Happy Friday! But, there's something about her voice that is just entrancing. This song has acoustic guitar and piano, in addition to Feist's electric guitar. Maybe the best part of the show was enjoying Feist as a performer. She's kind of like a cuter, pixier version of Chrissie Hynde, from The Pretenders. It's obvious how much time Feist has spent touring during the past couple years. She kept the entire Chicago audience spellbound. It had some of the most quiet moments I've experienced at a big show like that. It takes an electric performer to keep a Chicago crowd of that size to remain silent and attentive during slower, quieter tunes. I think my girlfriend has a crush on her.

Psst, wanna know about my most recent "Typical Koopa" moment?: "Elle" and I were 45 minutes outside of town when she asked if I had the tickets. I did not. They were sitting in plain sight on my living room endtable, where I had put them so I would not forget them. Forgetfulness has to be one of my most regular humbling experiences. I can be such a pillowhead sometimes.

Hey, got any tips to help me to keep from forgetting important things like that? Leave them in the comments section. On my trip to Fiji, NZ, & AUS, one of my travelling buddies gave me "H.A.M.S.?" as in, "[Do I] Have All My Shit?", because I was driving him crazy with my absent mindedness. I need a new strategy, H.A.M.S. isn't cutting it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need a checklist for each activity. Similar to the ones astronauts have for shuttle launches...ok, maybe a bad example. I'll keep thinking.

Anonymous said...

And what's wrong with a crush? Though I admit that offering my body for surrogate purposes may be taking it a bit too far...

BK/CK said...

I have issues with checklists. They go against the fiber of my being.

I should have included, "..., not that there's anything wrong with that."

BK/CK said...

Oh, but I was there. Casey got free tickets up pretty close. I think his sister-in-law knows somebody who knows somebody. Or something. Definitely a great show.

I like your idea about the H.A.M.S. decals. Problem is, I would tune them out after awhile. Ideally, I need a system that uses both a whoopee cushion and balsa wood.

Lisa said...

I'm going to have to check out Feist more. Thanks for your comment! Reminded me I haven't looked at your blog in a bit and need to! How come yours is so much cooler looking than mine??? Must be that fine eclectic musical taste of yours. Believe it or not, I have seen pictures of this girlfriend of yours and she looks very cute and sweet, in the photogenic sense. So I am sure she is in real life! I would have liked the dog vases for Valentines, too, I must say, but alas I am once again single and at least have a housemate that is open to seeing bands like BSS that she's never seen before.

BTW, forgive any spelling errors, I just got back from a suedo date and have had 3 pints of Guiness. Hey, they say it's good for you!

BK/CK said...

Lisa - Good to have you back in The Hideaway. I think you'd dig Feist. After your year in Britain, do you have any perspective on the Europeans vs. Muslims cultural conflict in my newest post?

Emily - Ah, Paloz and his musical preferences...let's just say it's his loss if he can't get into Sigur Ros. The elegance of their music is undeniable.