Thursday, May 05, 2005

What a Wonderful World


What a Wonderful World Posted by Hello

Stevie Wonder - Love's in Need Of Love Today - more true today than ever...

Stevie Wonder - I Love You So - to be played at my wedding someday.

There’s something about people with disabilities. Either because of the effect of their infirmity or because of their heightened abilities in other areas, those with disabilities often produce profound and interesting works of art. Wanna know the best description for how something looks like?, ask a deaf man. Wanna know how something sounds?, ask a blind guy. One of my favorite blind guys, Stevie Wonder, has made a career of turning the feelings and sounds of his mind into beautiful and often profound music. I want to focus today’s post on Stevie’s love songs. No, I’m not in love at the moment, but I got into a really interesting discussion over on The American Mastodon on love and what it means for humanity. More specifically, I theorized that since love is a uniquely human experience and is not present in the animal world from which we descended that it provides evidence of supernatural influence on humanity. I would argue that love is what truly separates us from animals and I would propose that Jesus Christ’s influence and effect on humanity is the perfect example of what love truly is. I didn’t come close to proof or a complete argument but, check it out, it became a pretty thought-provoking exchange. Maybe I’m a romantic, but I believe in love and I think my theory has some legs. At least my romanticism puts me in the same company with my dawg, Stevie. Being in the company of Stevie is cool w/ me any day.

No comments: