Monday, May 02, 2005

Some Loosely Connected Ruminations On Europeans


Though you don't know me well/With every little thing only time will tell/If you believe the things I do/Then we'll see it through/Life can be short or long/Love can be right or wrong/And if I chose the one I'd like to help me through/I'd like to make it with you Posted by Hello

Ralfi Pagan - Make It With You

Greetings and salutations, hideawayheads, I hope all 5 of you had relaxing weekends. In the area of relaxation, my weekend showed marked improvement over the one preceding it. I had an orientation meeting for the trip to Hungary that I mentioned a while ago. Much to my chagrin, but a surprise to everyone there who knew me, I was an hour early for the Saturday morning meeting. The break from my normal unpunctuality was due to another undesirable trait of mine: failure to print off important emails. I knew the meeting was early on Saturday morning, I just thought my uncle (who scheduled it) was more of an early bird. We covered a lot of different topics and schedule-related items but, interestingly, we spent an inordinate amount of time covering the fact that Europeans hold increasingly anti-American attitudes. We were instructed against engaging in political discussions with anybody while we were participating in the conference, since we are going over there to serve as Christians, not as Americans. During my travels I’ve had my fair share of enjoyable, political arguments with people from around the world, so I made a mental note to try and obey this. I'm not usually one to withold my opinion when it is asked of me, especially when I hold strong views on the subject. I genuinely enjoy an informed political discussion and understanding the point of view of people from another culture. It presses all kinds of intellectual curiosity buttons inside me. But, this has come up on previous trips and I respect that it might be distracting to the purpose of our trip. I wasn’t the only one who had questions about this request. Since I lean towards defending President Bush on many issues, including the always popular regime change in Iraq, it’s probably going to be tougher for me than it would be for some of my more left-leaning compadres, several of whom frequent this site. “What does this have to do with me downloading an awesome song today?”, you might ask. Well, I came across something funny today from last week’s Onion. Here it is.

Pardon my coarse jocularity in the face of something I sincerely believe is important, but please understand that it’s not my intention to go to Hungary on a Christian missionary trip just to get myself into the missionary position with some nubile Hungarian beauty. To all the fine young women of Europe: Yes, I would like to “make it” with you, but we can’t talk politics and we gotta get married first. But, let's not worry about that, just check out this incredibly seductive Latino-soul cover of the softly rocking Bread tune "Make It With You" while I find some wine glasses. Because, even if you don’t like my nationality or my politics or my religion, I can’t think of a reason why we shouldn’t enjoy a glass of wine together, no?

No comments: