Tuesday, March 01, 2005

All the Way to Bombay


The Indian Elvis/Jacko Posted by Hello

Dan the Automator & DJ Shadow - My Guru

Kid Koala & Dynomite O - Third World Lover

Today, I couldn’t figure out how to follow up my deservedly gushing Wilco concert review, so I decided to do a 180. I’m just gonna post something weird. The lesson of the day would be that you’re never gonna know what I’m going to post from day to day, so you best not miss out on a single day! Let’s take a trip somewhere…

Welcome to India! Our flight is about to touch down in Bombay, the home of Indian movies, also known as Bollywood! I’ve got 2 albums worth of Bollywood soundtrack tunes that have been remixed, Bombay the Hard Way Vols 1 & 2. The first volume was done by uber-producers Dan the Automator (Gorillaz, Deltron, Galactic, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Lovage) and DJ Shadow (Quannum Crew, Zach de la Rocha solo project?). Both of these guys are always on to something fresh no matter what project they’re on and they get to work w/ the coolest people. Their song, “My Guru” from “Bombay the Hard Way Volume 1: Guns, Cars, and Sitars” was on the first ever mix cd I made, knoopstafunkinchillin vol 1, when I got my cd burner back in college. The Bombay the Hard Way Vol. 1 is a collector’s item and it's pretty cool, but you gotta ask yourself how often you’re gonna listen to an ironic Bollywood-spoof album. This one track might be enough. But, if you’re like me and you’re yearning for more sitars, sickass beats, and ironic dialogue check out the second track, “Third World Lover” by scratch savant, Kid Koala (Bullfrog, toured w/ Radiohead) & some guy named Dynomite O. This is off “Bombay the Hard Way Volume 2: Electric Vindaloo”, which was done by a bunch of different producers and it really didn’t turn out as well in my opinion. This track is the straight dope though.

No comments: