Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy St. Patrick's Day


Happy St. Patrick's Day Hideawayheads! Posted by Hello

U2 - Bad (Live)

U2 - Springhill Mining Disaster (Live)

U2 - "40" (Live)

Today’s posts serve a three-fold purpose. Firstly, I gotta post some songs by an Irish Band since it’s St. Patty’s Day. Who would be better than U2? Secondly, I’ll be posting some Live U2 from 1987 when they were on their Joshua Tree tour and I’m making sure to post songs from the second disc of the live set since I’ve already burned the first disc for Buster. And as far as I can tell, he’s one of the few people who regularly downloads what I post up here. And, thirdly, these songs are dedicated to one of my oldest friends, a guy I’ve grown up with and have known literally my entire life. I just found out from his brother last night that he’s been going through a seriously rocky period in his life. So, these songs are in honor of him, especially since I first heard U2 from being around him. In fact, I went to see U2 @ Soldier Field w/ him, his brother and my brother during U2's PopMart tour.

All these songs come from the double disc bootleg set “Rock’s Hottest Ticket” which was recorded at the Rosemont Horizon arena in Chicago back in 1987. It was just after Time magazine had put them on the cover. “Bad” could very well be my all-time favorite U2 song. It sounds amazing live, and it’s just such a great song. What else is there to say? “Springhill Mining Disaster” is my St. Patty’s day tune, it’s an old Irish folk song that U2 used to regularly play in concert. I’ve got another rare bootleg version of this song with Larry Mullen Jr. singing it from my “Zoocoustica” bootleg, but he REALLY can’t sing. This version’s kinda funny because in the middle of the song Bono tells the crowd to “shut up for a second” and “stop whistling”, because he’s not in the Beatles! The third song, “40”, is the last song of the show and it’s another one of my all time favorite U2 songs. U2 used to end their concerts with this song. It is based on Psalm 40 (that’s right, King Koopa’s a man of faith). This song’s been a source of inspiration for me during some low times in my life and I’m sending it out to my buddy. I’m praying for ya bro. Here’s an excerpt from Psalm 40:

I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord….For innumberable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head; therefore my heart faileth me. Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me. Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Koopa,
Thought you'd like to know, I saw Prekop here in Chicago last night. Maybe not as thrilling as live U2, but still pretty good. Actually I was really tired throughout but the drunk guy in front of me sort of reminded me of you, and anyway, I've been feeling sort of guilty about downloading songs and leaving any comments.
Laura A.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, your quote kicks ass.

Anonymous said...

You know who would thank you for you support. Thanks man!

-Phil Lesh

BK/CK said...

Buster - ditto, in a mutually likewise fashion.

Laura#1 - Whats up, good to see ya on here! It warms my little heart that I've shamed you into commenting. Mission Accomplished. Now about this drunk guy resemblance, if he was repeatedly trying to climb on stage and demanding to take over as drummer, yeah, I can see it...

Laura#2 - Kickass, indeed. King David wrote some humdingers.

Phil Lesh - Thanks man.

Anonymous said...

Actually, he was sort of humping his girlfriend, and she was sort of pretending not to know who he was. At first it was laughable, and then kind of annoying, and then, towards the end, endearing.

BK/CK said...

That's the story of my life on so many levels...minus the endearing part.

I didn't pull that age-old "random-guy-humping-you-from-behind" maneuver on you at that White Stripes show in Bloomington, did I? I thought I was a perfect gentleman that evening.

I'm not too proud to admit that I have been "that guy" on certain occasions, but I usually try to make sure I don't know the girl.

Mathis said...

Hey Koopa and "Laura A." - get a room!!

Ok, but seriously, guys, seriously. You love U2, Buster? You actually love them? You feel that strongly about U2? How does one get to the point that they love U2? I don't get it. I would take a dose of REM over U2, and even they are hardly the shiny happy people they once were.

I fear my generation is prone to our own Sting complex - please people, don't let a couple of good songs written long, long ago fool you into thinking that a band is still great. My heart, what little of it is left, goes out to you all, for you know not what you do.

BK/CK said...

Must love be doled out with a teaspoon, or, with an eye-dropper? I like to think of love as gravy and myself as a ladle. Watch out mashed-u2-tatoes, there’s a lake of love coming at ya…See, when it comes to lovin, realize, I don’t want to be a miser. Give it away give away give it away, now.

I love the Johnny-come-latelys of the music world as much as the next guy, but living legends have earned a special place in my heart…as long as they don’t end up like Santana…

But, as much as I delight in tormenting and debating The AM, I can see his point, that in his eyes, maybe U2 has ruined their legacy by subpar artistic production in their twilight years, much like the aforementioned Santana and Sting. Jack Black’s “Barry” from High Fidelity put it best when he asked: “is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter-day sins? Is it better to burn out than to fade away?

Mathis said...

I have but one word for U2 fans: Zooropa. If you can explain that to me, then you are greater than the men I know.

Request for the Koopa: see if you can't find Iron and Wine's song "Jezebel" to post for the good people of the Hideaway. It's my new fav, and I can't stop listening to it. It's almost as good as anything off of "Anything You Can't Leave Behind".

BK/CK said...

The perfect choice...Go ahead, pick on the Zooropan Straw-man, he's virtually indefensible. Their worst album to date, very shi-tay.