Monday, February 21, 2005

At the Grotto, sits Charlie with the lotion and the kinky hair


where have all the pianitarists gone? Posted by Hello

Steely Dan - Haitian Divorce

From time to time, people ask me what I've been listening to. My pat answer is, "A little bit of everything" except for those periods when I'm superduper into something (right now I'm trying to track down Lee Michaels - Do You Know What I Mean). My most recent musical trend I've been on is 70's pop/psychedelia/singer-songwriter stuff, the stuff that made it into the Top 40 but isn't old enough to be on oldies stations yet. There's a lot of funky 70's tunes that charted, but have essentially been forgotten. This is one of those songs that I've fallen in love with recently. It's got some reggae rhythms, some druggy talkbox wah-wah guitar, and some pretty progressive lyrics for the time period. Add 'em up = Kickass.

It occurred to me that my server site might be having periodic problems during busy times, so email me if you want a track and can't get the link to work. I'm like a flu virus, I wanna infect as many people as possible. Once I get under your skin watch out, though!

2 comments:

Mathis said...

Dude. Seriously. You were supposed to have hit the prog-rock phase around junior year of high school, right after you discovered Led Zepellin and right before you started playing D&D.

A little late to the fantasy party, my friend.

BK/CK said...

You and Buster can hate on Steely Dan all you wish, I choose love.

A good song is a good song, buddy. Whether or not it's trendy enough to be appreciated by others in a certain time or place isn't up to me. Right now I'm feelin early-mid 90's hip hop and 70's pop (case in point: I've got a killer latinesque cover of "Make It With You" by Ralfi Pagan that I've been dying to post). The hot new trendy shit is MIA, and she is good, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna hop on the Sri Lankan dance-pop bandwagon quite yet.

Besides, you oughta know I don't fall for genre distinctions, I'm a music lover from the Beck-ian school of thought.