Friday, February 25, 2005

Roger Dodger Wilco Bilko


the tweedster Posted by Hello

Golden Smog (feat. J. Tweedy) – Lost Love

Wilco – Just a Kid

Wilco – Any Major Dude Will Tell You

Wilco - Kingpin

As I mentioned earlier in the week, I’m going to see Wilco in Kalamazoo this weekend w/ Buster Larkins and his compadre, Kevvy Kev. No trip to K-zoo is complete w/o a visit to Bell's brewery, so it has the makings of a drunk-by-3pm type of weekend. Let's hope so. I started the South Beach diet two weeks ago, which calls for abstaining from alcohol for the first two weeks...that business is about to come to a screeching halt.

Wilco is a pretty far cry from anything I’ve been posting on here lately, but such is the nature of my musical whims. This is what happens when nobody responds to my hip hop posts: I post alt-country...These songs aren’t necessarily rare, but you probably couldn’t walk into Best Buy and find them. The Jeff Tweedy completists out there should be happy about these posts. The Golden Smog track is from the the 98’ album Weird Tales. Golden Smog was a sideproject with members from the Jayhawks, Replacements, Soul Asylum, and one Mr. Jeff Tweedy. This is one of 2 songs that Tweedy wrote for that album. The second song “Just a Kid” is from the Spongebob Squarepants soundtrack. Knowing that Wilco’s newest album “Ghost is Born” was written before Tweedy’s stint in rehab for painkillers, it’s a pretty safe assumption that this was written afterwards. Too darn upbeat. The third song “Any Major Dude Will Tell You” is from the Me, Myself, and Irene soundtrack. The soundtrack featured a bunch of bands doing Steely Dan covers, including this one. I posted this as much to spite and good-naturedly provoke the American Mastodon than anything, but it’s a good version of it. In case you missed it, he (and Buster) maligned my posting of a Steely Dan song on Monday. The final song "Kingpin" is my favorite Wilco song at the moment, a nice honky-tonkish tune to check out if you don't know anything about them. It's off their second album, the double-disc Being There.

Take 'er easy blogosphere

2 comments:

Mathis said...

First. I don't dislike the Steely Dan. Some say best pedophilic prog-rocking potheads ever. I was just gently ribbing your obliques because, let's be honest - you post prog rock on your website, you deserve to be called on it.

Kingpin as best Wilco song? Suspicious. Why don't you dig a little further and post some Uncle Tupelo hotness up in here.

And dude. Just because you have your own blog doesn't mean you have to stop reading my. Otherwise feelings will get hurt.

BK/CK said...

Dude. I still check your blog every day bro. You confused the non-shepharding Jacob w/ the true-blue shephard David the other day, I just didn't call you on it...it appears I should've.

Kingpin is my Friday afternoon honky tonk rocker. Great song and it fits my excited-for-the-weekend mood. As far as the Uncle Tupelo, I've got the "March 16-20 '92" disc (ripped from my dad of all people) and "Anodyne" which is a great album, but I don't have it digitized. I'll do an Uncle Tupelo post Monday. The best stuff on the "March..." disc is by Jeff Farrar anyway (like "Moonshiner"), not too much postable Tweedy.